Spring Break Trips for Every Type of Family: Vermont, Florida, British Virgin Islands & NYC
Finding a destination the whole family will love can be no small feat, so we’ve rounded up a few recommendations including:
- Burlington, Vermont — “for the sweet tooth”
- St. Pete/Clearwater, Florida — “for animal lovers”
- The British Virgin Islands — “for island hoppers”
- New York City, New York — “for city seekers”
You may find details on each destination below:
For the Sweet Tooth — Burlington, Vermont
- What to do: Vermont is known for their pure maple syrup. This spring, take maple to the next level with Bonafide Tours, an exploration on back roads to a colorful Vermont sugar house to learn about tapping and the generations of maple syrup makers in the state. Along the way, capture images of snow-covered pastoral landscapes, waterfalls, 19th-century barns, church steeples, and covered bridges.
- Where to stay: Book a stay at the family-friendly and locally-inspired Hotel Vermont to enjoy the sweetness of spring. The rustic, yet modern accommodations, local artwork and infinite Vermont based partnerships add even more charm to every visit. After a day of adventure, snuggle up in Vermont Flannel robes with treats from the hotel’s exclusive Bedtime Menu, including a Vermont Teddy Bear.
For the Animal Lovers — St. Pete/Clearwater, Florida
- What to do: In addition to the plethora of outdoor activities, such as swimming with horses and see-through kayaking with manatees, families can visit the Clearwater Marine Aquarium to meet Winter and Hope, the stars of the 3D major motion pictures “Dolphin Tale” and “Dolphin Tale 2.”
- Where to stay: While visiting the destination, families can book a stay at the Wyndham Grand Clearwater Beach. Those who love the movie “Dolphin Tale” can book the “Visit Winter Package” which includes two general admission tickets to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, a Winter the Dolphin and Sea Turtle plush and allows guests to stay in accommodations of their choice (including the new specially themed Winter the Dolphin Bunk Gulf view room). A portion of the proceeds from this package are donated to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium to support their mission of preserving marine life through rescue, rehabilitation and release.
For the Island Hoppers — British Virgin Islands
- What to do: The British Virgin Islands (BVI) is an alluring archipelago comprising of over 60 islands and cays, making it the perfect island hopping destination. Known as the Sailing Capital of the Caribbean, the best way to see the territory and experience each major island is by boat. Each island is unique in itself; Anegada is known for its decadent spiny lobsters, Norman Island for its underwater caving, Jost Van Dyke for its white sand beaches and more. After losing more than 90% of its accommodations and attractions last fall due to hurricanes, more than 1,000 rooms and 3,200 berths will be available by the end of this year, many viewing the aftermath of the storm as a chance to significantly upgrade their product, making 2019 the BVI’s big comeback year.
- Where to stay: The best way to get a taste of the different beaches on each island is to charter a yacht. Companies such as The Moorings offer a crewed yacht experience which comes set with a gourmet chef, professional captain and sleeps as many as 12 of the family members. Staying on a yacht is perfect for big family vacations providing a captain who knows all the best snorkeling spots, seamless transportation to all the islands you wish to see and more.
For the City Seekers — New York City
- What to do: Filled with iconic attractions such as the Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building, New York City offers an abundance of activities for families looking to take on the Big Apple. Be sure to explore the recently-opened toy heaven FAO Schwarz near Rockefeller Center, visit the animals of the Bronx Zoo, and take in the amazing museums, including The Children’s Museum of Manhattan, Natural History Museum and New York Hall of Science. And of course, a trip to New York wouldn’t be complete without a stroll through Central Park.
- Where to stay: With four ideally located properties throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn, The Pod Hotels are perfect for families who want the full New York experience without breaking the bank. A leader in the micro-hotel space, The Pod Hotels combine innovative design (think bunk bed pods for the kids) with vibrant community spaces and f&b offerings, like innovative taqueria Empellon Al Pastor, newly opened at Pod 39. Additionally, families that want to explore New York City like locals can hop on a walking tour through some of New York’s most iconic neighborhoods in partnership with Streetwise. Scope out the local art of the Lower East Side, wander through the cobbled streets of Greenwich Village and cross the East River to visit DUMBO.